Saturday, November 19, 2011

Big Sur Day 1

This weekend Nell and I went with Maxine to Big Sur, one of our favorite places to visit in California. I rented a nice wide angle lens and got some great shots. We spent the night at Ragged Point, drove down to see the elephant seals, then headed back north into Big Sur stopping at nearly every vista point we saw. Above is a humming bird I managed to photograph at Ragged Point. There were a lot of them. It's a bit fuzzy because I had to take the shot from far enough away to not scare the hummingbird, so I was zoomed way in. This is the first good shot I've gotten of a hummingbird. I really like how the background turned out so colorful. I like the photo photo below because of how peaceful Nell looks resting on the rock wall overlooking the ocean, and for the nice color. 
The elephant seals at the beach this time of year were mostly juveniles who didn't really move around much. But I managed to catch one scratching his feet. It's pretty funny to see them use their fins almost like hands. 
Below is a view of McWay Falls in Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park. The sun was pretty much in the worst spot to photograph the falls, not to mention that is was super bright, but the shot came out alright.

3 comments:

  1. Yay! That was a fun trip. The colors in your shots turned out so vivid! I'm excited to see the second day, when the lighting was a lot different. I really like the one of Nell on the rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos! they make me want to bike the coast again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love McWay Falls! That's where Mike and I got married. :-)

    ReplyDelete